Skip to main content

"I am a wergic to nuts"

We super diligent about what little man eats. We have a great set of friends who make sure that meals that we eat together are nut free. If there is a doubt~like at the wedding last week~ we don't give it to him. Yes, he went to a wedding and couldn't eat the cake. But I did make sure he got a special treat when we got home. Its pretty sucky sometimes but we can't take any chances.

We have been doing pretty well these days. NO reactions to peanut/tree nuts in a long time until this week. We've been pretty fortunate to be in "nut" free activities. CBS is  nut free and church is nut free. The only thing we attend together that is not nut free is dance.


Its not like he's getting snacks while #1 is taking ballet. But sometimes other parents bring snack for their kids. Sometimes they are nuts. Even the snacks they sell at the reception desk are often peanut kinds.

I am diligent in watching him. Even though I do have a bit of panic because I don't know what other kids have eaten and then  with their EVIL PEANUTTY HANDS touched the same toys. He often has reactions when peanuts touch his skin. Its not all about eating. Its their mere presence. I made sure to make him aware of the presence of peanuts. Even though he is 3 he has to be responsible for his own health issues. He needs to know. Its funny even if he sees a picture of a nut he says, "YUCK, nuts they make me sick!" or "I am a wergic to nuts"

Most of his reactions have been when he's come in contact and not ingested them. He get red bumps on his face and itches like there's no tomorrow. He has an epi-pen that ~THANK YOU JESUS~  we haven't had to use for respiratory issues.  I usually carry Benadryl with me except for last Monday night.


The lobby was really full. Its 5 o' clock and there are lots of hungry kids. Some of them have snacks. One particular small child was battling with his mom over a bag of something. Then as the battle continued it began to rain NUTS. Just a few inches from Little Man.

I quickly called him over to me and told him about the situation and had him sit with me until the mom had picked up the nuts. Except she didn't pick them all up but I didn't know that. I sent him back to the train table. I  glanced down and saw some nuts that I quickly picked up. I looked around where little man was and didn't see any.

I kept an eye on him. And had #2 {the mother hen} watching out for him. I see him holding something and talking to another mom. I walked over and he had a peanut in his hand. {INSERT PANIC}. He said he found it under the tracks on the floor. I threw the peanut away and quickly took a wipe and cleaned his hands. I reminded him that if he saw a peanut on the floor that he wasn't to touch it but tell mommy or one of his sissy's.

After a few minutes I noticed he was itching. I had him sit by me and sure enough his face was getting red and itchy. I asked the staff at the dance studio if they happened to have Benadryl. No one did. His dad came and got him. Fortunately he was running late and was closer to us then he was to home. He was able to remove him from the situation. He quickly cleared up by the time he got home.

I understand that not all locations and life will be without nuts. Mom guilt has set in though. What could I have done to make him more safe? Did I get lazy because we hadn't had a reaction in  awhile?

We will just have to keep diligent and watchful in keeping my little man safe.



this is a picture of his 2nd reaction when he was a little over 1 yr old


 
"Lord, Oh Lord, how majestic is your name in all the Earth. You have set your glory in the heavens. Through the praise of infants and children you have established a stronghold against your enemies to silence the foe and avenger." Psalm 8:1-2


Linking with Capturing Motherhood




Comments

  1. Oh Jennifer, How I feel your guilt, anxiety, pain, frustration, and fear over it all. It's so hard to not be "that mom" who freaks out over a non-nut situation. I have only done it once, but it was at a park and in regards to Eli's dog allergies. Oddly it felt good to "inform" that person that it wasn't about her and her dog it was about my son's health. You're doing great by helping him to re responsible for his health so young. I remember Eli always coming up to me asking if he could have something or bringing me the bag so I could read the ingredients. He still does for the most part, but he has been asking if he could read the label himself. Yikes, just don't want him to miss anything. There have been a few times when the epi-pen and Benadryl were left home. Then it's a mad rush to find a CVS or Walgreens. I now keep both in my purse, but still make Eli responsible for carrying his bag with him where ever he goes. It's funny now at places like church everone knows what Eli's bag looks like, and if he leaves it in a classroom someone is always in a hurry to bring it to him. Holidays are still tough. Out of town family get togethers are the worst. People don't understand that you can't cut the pecan pie and then with a paper towel pie that I made for him because it's his just wipe it off and proceed to cut the pumpkinfavorite and now you have cross contaminated it. UGH! Keep the faith in your heart and Benadryl in your purse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing your heart and your vulnerabilities. oh goodness, i can't even imagine what you must go through on a daily-out-in-public basis. thank you for linking up! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

December Ten on Ten

It has been awhile since I've posted a Ten on Ten. Today we were away so you of course get the traveling version...and maybe a little Traveling Jesus! An early morning selfie Only the best potato chips ever! I can only get them in NW Ohio, so when in Paulding County! Traveling Jesus mad it once again through the plains of NW Ohio It's Christmas time in Antwerp! Grandma Norma, the girls, the baby and Mimi Becky...what a full house! I couldn't decide between cherry or blueberry pie, so I chose both! The sister and sister in law helping with the kids craft Add caption Leaving my parent's home Grabbed dinner out

A JOURNEY OF THE HEART

"No NO No NO NO No!" That was a recent entry into my journal. I was asked to do something that I without a shadow of a doubt knew it was God asking me to do it. AND I DIDN'T WANT TO! I literally followed it with 2 pages of ME telling God why I didn't want to do it and why I couldn't do it. Yes 2 pages.  Wow! I strapped on my toddler attitude and went to town. *Flashback to 1 month ago* Child #1's Kindergarten teacher, Kara,  also  attends the church we attend and we occasionally see each other at the same service. Well, one particular evening we got to talking and she asked me to join our church's version of VBS. We go to the west side {off campus} of town to the Somalian population and do a day time VBS and lunch for these kids for an entire week. Cool part, my own kids can come and be apart of the "missions trip."  What an invaluable a lesson to my kids to show love to others! Kara is heading crafts and wanted me to craft it up with her. ...

serving with a grateful heart

1 Peter 4:10 "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms." This year my little gang of cheerios and I have been working on being intentional about serving. To be honest for a long time the excuses of having to many littles was beginning to wear thin. Now I have been looking for opportunities that my littles could easily accomplish. Yesterday, we attended a Lenten service at our church. It was a beautiful Prayer walk. We walked through stations, preparing our hearts for this season of Lent. It was a perfect activity for our family to do together. In the Lenten study package was The Names of God Bible reading challenge . I am really thrilled to focus in on the Names of God for this season. Preparing my heart for the Easter season. So today, the sanctuary needed cleaned. All the stations needed put back in the closets and offices that they were borrowed from. Little ...