I knew that starting before the neighborhood kids went to school and before the pool had closed was a risky move. I knew that I was starting slow, just a few things. To them it was new mountains, and a scary endeavor.
Things I learned:
1. When left to their own devices some of my kids will sleep and sleep and sleep. Balancing the EARLY risers against the not so early risers is an interesting dynamic.
So when little man wants to get up and get started while the sun is still pushing the snooze button how do I not make the child who sleeps in not feel behind the 8 ball.
2. Still working on making child #4 feel included but help her not be disruptive to some learning.
3. I can say it until I am blue in the face "School can be done anywhere!!" but until they really see I mean anywhere its a mute point.
4. I
5. The amount of information they have been able to discuss with daddy at dinner. I love the fact that he feels more involved too! He's getting first hand knowledge about what's being taught...helps to be smooching the teacher!
6. All my kids approach school at a different pace. That was a hill I wasn't willing to die on but we are trying to work through what that looks like for us on a daily basis.
7. Little man likes school. I mean I knew he liked pre school. But he and I don't always see eye to eye so I thought there might be friction between us. After the first day when he realized what school was he was eager to continue. Day 2 he started on his own and asked to do more than I had planned.
8. These post it note reusable tabs. I mark each night what page the kids have to do they next day. And they know where to start! I love these things.
9. I love the immediate feedback. As a teacher grading work it wasn't always easy to do immediate feedback. It was difficult to grade work and send it home for parents quickly. I don't know if anyone reviewed or course corrected. Sad! But wow as the cheerio gang is doing their work I'm course correcting or asking questions on how did you get this answer ( a process or a guess). That's been less stressful than homework at night and trying to review graded work.
We have lots to learn but I'm excited about this year!
Comments
Post a Comment