My girls love to dance! They dance everywhere: the grocery store, outside and throughout the house. When child #1 turned 2 she began asking when she could take dance class. I told her when she was 3 we would enroll her. We found a studio that was close by and had pre-dance classes. It was a 1 hour class (20 minutes of tap, ballet, and tumbling). She took 2 years of pre-dance and 1 year of tap. It was great and we had teachers who chose appropriate music and recital outfits.
BUT as I was sitting there last year with my 2 other children once a week, we would hear the questionable music and see the questionable outfit choices. I mean one song we heard OVER AND OVER again was "big coconuts" and they weren't talking about the food. {CLEARING THROAT!} And these were 9 year old girls in barely there outfits grooving to this music. We've had great outfit choices so far but I knew that this was our future. I was not pleased! Not for my girls who would be paraded in these choices other adults made for them . Or my son who would have to sit through many a recital. Is this his view of what women should wear or how they should behave.
If I am so strict about what they listen to and see at home and in the car than why is that any different than when in a public place. I want my kids expose to different activities but at what cost am I willing to get them involved?
I believe my children can be ministers in whatever setting they are in, but at some point I have to say enough is enough. We are their parents so we have the most say in what we expose them to during the day. So my hubs and I began looking for something different. I knew pooh bear wanted to join a dance class too this year. So I needed to look for something different but something that would align with our values and morals.
What were our needs?
~affordability
~ modest dress
~appropriate music/dance movements
~proximity to our home
~classes available for pooh bear and child #1
We found a Christian dance studio that seems to meet all those criteria. the kids dance to Christian music and they pray at the end of class.The girls are excited about making the move. We explained it to the oldest that we felt that it was important to have fun and enjoy an activity all while honoring God. We can do that with our dress, dance movements and song choices. We are definitely not sacrificing skill or fun. Just choosing to keep my little ones sheltered from the harsh realities of the world one year longer.
Just one more year to feed them God's word, to teach them about modest choices, to teach them about honoring God. Just one more year to keep them innocent and little.
Go here and see what's happening on Capturing Motherhood.
BUT as I was sitting there last year with my 2 other children once a week, we would hear the questionable music and see the questionable outfit choices. I mean one song we heard OVER AND OVER again was "big coconuts" and they weren't talking about the food. {CLEARING THROAT!} And these were 9 year old girls in barely there outfits grooving to this music. We've had great outfit choices so far but I knew that this was our future. I was not pleased! Not for my girls who would be paraded in these choices other adults made for them . Or my son who would have to sit through many a recital. Is this his view of what women should wear or how they should behave.
If I am so strict about what they listen to and see at home and in the car than why is that any different than when in a public place. I want my kids expose to different activities but at what cost am I willing to get them involved?
I believe my children can be ministers in whatever setting they are in, but at some point I have to say enough is enough. We are their parents so we have the most say in what we expose them to during the day. So my hubs and I began looking for something different. I knew pooh bear wanted to join a dance class too this year. So I needed to look for something different but something that would align with our values and morals.
What were our needs?
~affordability
~ modest dress
~appropriate music/dance movements
~proximity to our home
~classes available for pooh bear and child #1
We found a Christian dance studio that seems to meet all those criteria. the kids dance to Christian music and they pray at the end of class.The girls are excited about making the move. We explained it to the oldest that we felt that it was important to have fun and enjoy an activity all while honoring God. We can do that with our dress, dance movements and song choices. We are definitely not sacrificing skill or fun. Just choosing to keep my little ones sheltered from the harsh realities of the world one year longer.
Just one more year to feed them God's word, to teach them about modest choices, to teach them about honoring God. Just one more year to keep them innocent and little.
Go here and see what's happening on Capturing Motherhood.

wow. this is incredible. i am so glad you had the guts to leave that place and it sounds like you found a wonderful new place! thanks for linking up! xoxo.
ReplyDeleteSo where/what is the other dance studio? Rory wants to take dance this year.
ReplyDelete