As promised from my FB status this morning, this morning why my heart was warmed even though my toes are frozen.
My children are kept in a tight bubble. And I am okay with that. And right now so are they, because they don't know any different. I know that won't last forever. Their gonna want to stretch their wings and do what their friends are doing. Listen to what their friends are listening to. Watch what their friends are watching. But I pray that the time they spent in the safe bubble we've created will have great impact on those choices.
This morning my oldest told me about a song she heard the 5th grade choir sing the other day at school. Since they sang it at school she thought that it was appropriate. She liked it but couldn't remember all the words. She asked if I would look up the words for her to see if it was something she could listen to and if it was could she listen to it on you tube.
I thought this was amazingly wise for an 8 yr old. I looked it up for her and reviewed the lyrics. Although not inherently bad they emphasized the self. Self reliance, selfishness, and self importance. While there weren't any crude or rude or even questionable language the message wasn't God honoring.
I looked at the video on You tube. The artist was not wearing clothing that was modest. Fortunately the girls attend a dance studio that places a lot of emphasis on modesty and appropriate wear, so the girls understood when I told them they were not allowed to see it for its inappropriate content, The girls were okay with that. They didn't argue or fuss.
We listened to it once. Together.
I know I won't always be around the next time this comes up for her when she's in her room listening to the radio, on the bus, in the classroom, at a friend's house. I know I only have a few more years left to influence her bubble. I am so pleased that she came to me and sought wisdom for this and pray that she will continue to seek wise advice in all she does.
James 1:5 " If any one of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
My children are kept in a tight bubble. And I am okay with that. And right now so are they, because they don't know any different. I know that won't last forever. Their gonna want to stretch their wings and do what their friends are doing. Listen to what their friends are listening to. Watch what their friends are watching. But I pray that the time they spent in the safe bubble we've created will have great impact on those choices.
This morning my oldest told me about a song she heard the 5th grade choir sing the other day at school. Since they sang it at school she thought that it was appropriate. She liked it but couldn't remember all the words. She asked if I would look up the words for her to see if it was something she could listen to and if it was could she listen to it on you tube.
I thought this was amazingly wise for an 8 yr old. I looked it up for her and reviewed the lyrics. Although not inherently bad they emphasized the self. Self reliance, selfishness, and self importance. While there weren't any crude or rude or even questionable language the message wasn't God honoring.
I looked at the video on You tube. The artist was not wearing clothing that was modest. Fortunately the girls attend a dance studio that places a lot of emphasis on modesty and appropriate wear, so the girls understood when I told them they were not allowed to see it for its inappropriate content, The girls were okay with that. They didn't argue or fuss.
We listened to it once. Together.
I know I won't always be around the next time this comes up for her when she's in her room listening to the radio, on the bus, in the classroom, at a friend's house. I know I only have a few more years left to influence her bubble. I am so pleased that she came to me and sought wisdom for this and pray that she will continue to seek wise advice in all she does.
James 1:5 " If any one of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."
Comments
Post a Comment