I recently read Anything by Jennie Allen on vacation. I forgot to bring my highlighter which was a bummer because there was SO MUCH to highlight to remember. Fortunately, I found an orange crayon. Boy did I use that crayon!
"What if the thing we are trying to impress him with was the very thing that keeps us from him." (p.17)
Anything is a book about the power of prayer. A prayer so powerful. A prayer so simple. A prayer so complex. A prayer so life changing. A moment when they let go and let God. A radical life changing moment that has now defined who she is and what God has planned. Sounds easy, but it has been quite a journey for Jennie's family.
While in the middle of this book, I thought of several friends who would love to read it. I stopped and texted them "you need to read this!!!" I knew , even in the middle, that this book was going to be life changing for me and I had to share it right away.
"In love with God and yet eagerly serving everybody but him." (P. 35)
"Do we talk more about God than we obey him." (P. 170)
Ouch! Jennie's words and the life she's living out struck a chord with me. What am I holding back from God ? Am I satisfied with the happy, content, comfortable, good life or do I want something more radical? Surrender and recklessness is scary. but Jesus wants us to live this way for Him. The good thing is it's not a journey you take alone...Jesus is there leading you by the hand every step of the way.
"Love God and give him away. Don't complicate this. " (p. 195)
This book was reprinted with a Bible study. Although I didn't complete that portion, I could tell that it would be a powerful tool for a small group.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Comments
Post a Comment