So last week was the big week.. Somalian vbs-kids club-can't speak the name of Jesus to these Muslim children but gotta teach his truths-week. I had know idea how physically and spiritually difficult this week was going to be. I was glad I had friends praying for my family. I ask them to pray we would be like a tamerisk tree seed. Planting shade in the desert for many generations. A slow growing tree but one that would benefit others and not ourselves. I prayed that I would not miss the big picture.
So child #1 and I talked about how she could share her Jesus with her new friends with out using Jesus' name. I told her that she was going to be a missionary to a peoples that did not know Jesus. She was very excited about her important missionary job. And you know what...she was amazing. She had no problem making new friends. Every time I turned around she was holding the hand of her Somali-Bantu friends. She took her job seriously. Her teacher, Tricia, appreciated her helpfulness and that she was well behaved.
We sang songs, played games. listened to stories,made crafts & ate lunch all while telling about the characteristics of God. We learned about gratitude, forgiveness, grace, faithfulness, & compassion. We also learned Psalm 25:4 &5. It was a busy week. A week of not saying the name of Jesus but telling about Him in unseen ways.
Midwest weather can be unpredictable at times. We had gorgeous weather. We were in a park, outside the whole time...from 8 am until 2...AND there was sunshine and a breeze.
My little guys came along too. I had stories and crafts and free play for them. They had to learn to share mama with 12 other kids {a program for all the leaders kids} including 3 Somalian children. Yes, they dropped off 2 year old children who didn't speak English. They did great.
Now I could list all the things that went wrong or was difficult, but then I would be missing the blessings of God. I would be missing his provision and protection. I would be missing seeing the bigger picture.
Did we get to see a big conversion this week? NO But that was not the point. This was a small part of the ongoing relationship our church has with this people. We are at the planting seeds stage. They needed to see Jesus in action. They needed to feel his love for all people.
What did my kids learn? They had to sacrifice some of their sleep and normal routine to be able to be at the ministry bright and early. They had to go out of their comfort zone. They got to love new people-people who are different from them-a people that they would not normally run into in their suburban life. I can tell them all about Jesus and who He is but until they get to experience HIM in such a hands on way they will truly never understand HIS blessings. This was a great opportunity for my family to be Jesus and see Jesus.
Psalm 57:9-11 " I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations. I will sing of you among the peoples, for great is your love, reaching to the Heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the sky. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth."
111. getting to know #1's kindergarten teacher on a personal level
112. VBS
113. black out curtains
114. gardens
115. conversations with neighbors
116. a summer Bible study with friends
117. a zoo so close
118. Veggie Tale's praise and worship music
See what other's have to say about their {im}perfect lives.

So child #1 and I talked about how she could share her Jesus with her new friends with out using Jesus' name. I told her that she was going to be a missionary to a peoples that did not know Jesus. She was very excited about her important missionary job. And you know what...she was amazing. She had no problem making new friends. Every time I turned around she was holding the hand of her Somali-Bantu friends. She took her job seriously. Her teacher, Tricia, appreciated her helpfulness and that she was well behaved.
| child #1 in the pink hat |
We sang songs, played games. listened to stories,made crafts & ate lunch all while telling about the characteristics of God. We learned about gratitude, forgiveness, grace, faithfulness, & compassion. We also learned Psalm 25:4 &5. It was a busy week. A week of not saying the name of Jesus but telling about Him in unseen ways.
Midwest weather can be unpredictable at times. We had gorgeous weather. We were in a park, outside the whole time...from 8 am until 2...AND there was sunshine and a breeze.
My little guys came along too. I had stories and crafts and free play for them. They had to learn to share mama with 12 other kids {a program for all the leaders kids} including 3 Somalian children. Yes, they dropped off 2 year old children who didn't speak English. They did great.
Now I could list all the things that went wrong or was difficult, but then I would be missing the blessings of God. I would be missing his provision and protection. I would be missing seeing the bigger picture.
Did we get to see a big conversion this week? NO But that was not the point. This was a small part of the ongoing relationship our church has with this people. We are at the planting seeds stage. They needed to see Jesus in action. They needed to feel his love for all people.
What did my kids learn? They had to sacrifice some of their sleep and normal routine to be able to be at the ministry bright and early. They had to go out of their comfort zone. They got to love new people-people who are different from them-a people that they would not normally run into in their suburban life. I can tell them all about Jesus and who He is but until they get to experience HIM in such a hands on way they will truly never understand HIS blessings. This was a great opportunity for my family to be Jesus and see Jesus.
Psalm 57:9-11 " I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations. I will sing of you among the peoples, for great is your love, reaching to the Heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the sky. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth."
111. getting to know #1's kindergarten teacher on a personal level
112. VBS
113. black out curtains
114. gardens
115. conversations with neighbors
116. a summer Bible study with friends
117. a zoo so close
118. Veggie Tale's praise and worship music
See what other's have to say about their {im}perfect lives.

wow. this is incredible. thank you for linking up and sharing! xoxo.
ReplyDelete