Sometimes post get written in my head long before they are posted here. Sometimes its like lightening bolt and I know that's what I want to write.Today's post came from a conversation my husband and I had last night.
I have lived in this house 6 years. When we moved in I prayed that our house would be one that kids would flock to. That there would be something that made this a safe haven a place that all my kids would bring their friends to.
Last night I got a glimpse of what that would look like. There were 7 kids in our yard and 3 of them were mine. Neighbor kids enjoying the beautiful night and company of our family.
We also had a guest for dinner. She's someone who lives in our neighborhood. She's 11 and in middle school, but still enjoys hanging out here with my kids. I've known her since she was 2. So its been neat to watch her grow up.
Yesterday, when she got off the bus at 2:45 she came to hang out on the playground with my preschoolers. And then she had snack with us and then she came in to play and then the kids invited her for dinner. Somewhere around 7 she went home. Her parents had just got home.
I question why would a MS student want to hang out here with us? What is it that makes her come over multiple times a week? Sometimes during the summer I would have her all day. Just tagging along.
She's not really an only...her sister's about 15 years older. From what we can gather she's kinda treated like an adult. She is giant for her age so she looks about 15. She's only 11. She's still a little girl inside.
Maybe she likes all the chaos of our big family? Its loud and maybe her house is too quiet. Maybe she still wants to play and this is a good excuse? Maybe she likes all the attention my kids give her? They adore her! Maybe she's lonely? Maybe she just wants to steal my recipe for my sweet tea?
I could send her home. I could be too busy to talk to her. I could be too hassled to let her hang out. I could be missing the blessing of having her in my house. I could be missing an opportunity to show her love and Jesus. I could be missing an opportunity to share our blessings with her....food, family, love, safe haven, conversation.
So yesterday was again a lesson...a lesson in love and patience and seeing the joy in answered prayer!
| these are her shoes...she left them on my deck last night |
Linking up with Hill this week!

Comments
Post a Comment