Flashback to 1995. I was starting college back and 3 hours away from home. In her wisdom, Debbie the College-age Sunday school teacher, decided to match up the Senior citizens with the college age students. It was called "adopt a grandparent" program. Mark and I {not married but dating at the time} signed up. John and Marie called us and thus began the friendship.
John was in the choir and didn't sit with his wife during church, so they thought it would be great if we could sit with her. It was great to look forward to seeing a familiar face in a large church every week. They wrote us notes and prayed for us. They would invite us over to play Dominoes. They'd invite us out for dinner. They would just talk with us. They came to our graduation. It was 4 years of a great friendship.
We haven't kept in touch with John and Marie as much over the last few years. But during that season of life they meant the world to us. They gave us a gift. A gift of presence. Being there for 2 college students who were away from family, away from the familiar. They made us feel important. They made us feel loved.
Marie was in a car accident recently and passed away. She was 70 years old. She left her husband, her son and a grandchild behind. But now she is dancing with her Lord and Savior. I imagine her to be playing some chicken feet with Moses and having fondue with King David. I hope that when she looks at her crown that she sees that her gifts of presence for some lonely college kids rewarded her richly. I know she didn't do it for the reward. Her gift of presence was priceless!
Its just a reminder who in my life do I need to give the gift of presence.
John was in the choir and didn't sit with his wife during church, so they thought it would be great if we could sit with her. It was great to look forward to seeing a familiar face in a large church every week. They wrote us notes and prayed for us. They would invite us over to play Dominoes. They'd invite us out for dinner. They would just talk with us. They came to our graduation. It was 4 years of a great friendship.
We haven't kept in touch with John and Marie as much over the last few years. But during that season of life they meant the world to us. They gave us a gift. A gift of presence. Being there for 2 college students who were away from family, away from the familiar. They made us feel important. They made us feel loved.
Marie was in a car accident recently and passed away. She was 70 years old. She left her husband, her son and a grandchild behind. But now she is dancing with her Lord and Savior. I imagine her to be playing some chicken feet with Moses and having fondue with King David. I hope that when she looks at her crown that she sees that her gifts of presence for some lonely college kids rewarded her richly. I know she didn't do it for the reward. Her gift of presence was priceless!
Its just a reminder who in my life do I need to give the gift of presence.

this is a beautiful reminder to us all. thanks for linking up.
ReplyDeletexoxo.