Child #1 likes to take her time in the morning. She is a bit poky. I've tried to not NAG her the whole time giving her time to figure out her own time management. BUT I've always said if she missed the bus because she was dawdling she would have to clean toilets. I thought that was a pretty impactful punishment for a 6 year old.
Well yesterday I had to follow through with my threat. YEP, she missed the bus. When it was time to leave for the bus she got in the van (yes I drive 4 houses down when I have somewhere to go like Bible study but most days we walk). We were 2 minutes early. When I saw the bus around the corner and told her to hop out, she flipped out "WHERE'S MY BACKPACK???" She left it by the door at home. There was no way I was running back home to get it all preggers. I told her she could go to school without it and just buy her lunch. "NOOOOO!" So she missed the bus.
I was going to be late to my activity. She needed to go to school. She wasn't going without her lunch and backpack. So I went back home got her stuff and took her to school. But let her know she was going to clean some toliets when she got home. MORE SOBBING ensued.
So I sent her on her way.
I picked her up from the bus stop and without tears and fighting she cleaned a toilet. I only made her clean one. I asked her "did you learn anything from this?"
"Yes a big lesson of responsibility and not to forget my stuff."
A lesson I am sure she won't soon forget.
I remember moments like this from when I was a kid. I can still feel the sadness of it as I read your blog. Felt bad for missing the bus, being possibly late to school, making my Mom drive all that way so early (we were bussed across town), and have her mad at me the entire way there. I hated getting out of the car.
ReplyDelete