So little man has this blanket. Its lovingly referred to as "BANKET!!!" Its just a soft fleece with the ends tied, you know the kind, and very blue and boyish. Nothing special. To me but to my little 2 year old its the world {which again is funny because it has planets on it, I digress}. For a very long time maybe a year or so it went every where with him...the car, up and down the stairs, in every room. Picture Linus from peanuts. Little man just dragging this blanket holding the knotted ends. When he gets upset or is tired he rubs the knotted ends on his cheek/face//between his nose and his paci and he closes his eyes. FIND A HAPPY PLACE FIND A HAPPY PLACE!
Now over the winter when little man had a bout the gross kinda sickies it was a very tricky situation-I need to wash it but he won't fall asleep with out it. I talked my MIL who made the first one that maybe having a backup one wouldn't be a bad idea. She found "Ka-chow" and "Mater" material {cars is his recent addiction} to make a new and much larger blanket for him.
We gave him the Cars blanket with all the "hey look its a new blanket rubbing the knotted ends on his face so he'd think this one is the bomb" we could muster. "BANKET" Honey this is your new blanket look it feels the same~well maybe not as worn down as much but pretty much its the same. "BANKET"
So in the sly middle of the night covert operation switcheroo he had his new blanket. All was going pretty well. Didn't want to carry it around like his old blanket. But it did the job when he went to bed.
Until one night. I put the old blanket in his closet (I needed back up just in case new blanket was soiled). I accidentally left his closet door open and from his crib he could see it. In a fit he threw out new blanket and cried form mommy/banket. I came up and picked up new blanket and gave it back to him. "NO BANKET! RIGHT NOW!" {gotta love his sisters for teaching him that phrase}
I looked around and I saw it. He was pointing to it. He needed it. He wanted the old blanket. It didn't matter that I had something new or better. It was what he was used to, it was comfortable, it was familiar. It was banket.
Me too. I like what's comfortable, easy and familiar. Even if its not the best thing God has for me. Whatever I might be holding on to may not be bad for me but its not the best thing. I deny that gift he has for me because I don't want to let go of what's familiar to me. I can't let go.
Romans 8:5 "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
I wanna let go but sometimes, just like little man, I keep holding on.....

go here to see what others say about their perfect lives!
Now over the winter when little man had a bout the gross kinda sickies it was a very tricky situation-I need to wash it but he won't fall asleep with out it. I talked my MIL who made the first one that maybe having a backup one wouldn't be a bad idea. She found "Ka-chow" and "Mater" material {cars is his recent addiction} to make a new and much larger blanket for him.
We gave him the Cars blanket with all the "hey look its a new blanket rubbing the knotted ends on his face so he'd think this one is the bomb" we could muster. "BANKET" Honey this is your new blanket look it feels the same~well maybe not as worn down as much but pretty much its the same. "BANKET"
So in the sly middle of the night covert operation switcheroo he had his new blanket. All was going pretty well. Didn't want to carry it around like his old blanket. But it did the job when he went to bed.
Until one night. I put the old blanket in his closet (I needed back up just in case new blanket was soiled). I accidentally left his closet door open and from his crib he could see it. In a fit he threw out new blanket and cried form mommy/banket. I came up and picked up new blanket and gave it back to him. "NO BANKET! RIGHT NOW!" {gotta love his sisters for teaching him that phrase}
I looked around and I saw it. He was pointing to it. He needed it. He wanted the old blanket. It didn't matter that I had something new or better. It was what he was used to, it was comfortable, it was familiar. It was banket.
Me too. I like what's comfortable, easy and familiar. Even if its not the best thing God has for me. Whatever I might be holding on to may not be bad for me but its not the best thing. I deny that gift he has for me because I don't want to let go of what's familiar to me. I can't let go.
Romans 8:5 "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
I wanna let go but sometimes, just like little man, I keep holding on.....

go here to see what others say about their perfect lives!

thank you for linking up! you made such a beautiful transition to talking about our own struggles. I love it.
ReplyDeletexoxo.
I so agree it is so much easier to stay with the comfortable things that venturing into the unknown ~ which could lead to amazing things. Sometimes it's hard to "listen to the call" :)
ReplyDelete